UGC approves use of NET scores for PhD admissions starting 2024-25 academic session – Times of India | IIT EXPERT

NEW DELHI: The University Grants Commission (UGC) has decided that starting from the academic session 2024-25, PhD admissions can utilize National Eligibility Test (NET) scores. This decision aims to streamline the admission process under the National Education Policy, eliminating the need for multiple entrance exams. The UGC made this determination during its 578th meeting on March 13, based on recommendations from an expert committee tasked with reviewing UGC NET exam provisions.
Presently, the NET exam primarily serves for Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) eligibility and assistant professor appointments. Conducted by the National Testing Agency biannually in June and December, UGC NET June 2024 notification will soon be available on
Starting June 2024, UGC NET qualified candidates will have three eligibility categories: Those eligible for PhD admission with JRF and assistant professor appointment, those eligible for PhD admission without JRF but for assistant professor appointment, and those only eligible for PhD programme admission.
For PhD admissions through NET, candidates in categories 2 and 3 will have their UGC NET scores contribute 70% to their merit, with the remaining 30% from interviews. This combined merit approach applies to both categories 2 and 3, with NET scores remaining valid for one year.

Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *